President, Memphis Medical District Collaborative
Established in 2016, Memphis Medical District Collaborative (MMDC) is a not-for-profit, community development organization working with anchor institutions to strengthen the connections, communities, and campuses in the Memphis Medical District so they are more vibrant, prosperous, and equitable. The Memphis Medical District is home to more than 10,000 residents and numerous medical and educational anchor institutions – seven of which are anchor partners to the organization. Together, the anchor institution partners of MMDC have more than 30,000 employees and students, a collective operating budget of $3 Billion, are in the midst of more than $3.5 Billion in planned or current capital expansions, and control more than 300 acres of real estate. The anchor partners, along with local and national philanthropic partners, support the work of MMDC to revitalize the Memphis Medical District, build community wealth, and create a vibrant link between Downtown and Midtown Memphis.
MMDC seeks a dynamic executive leader to join the team at a critical moment in the organization’s history – transforming from a start-up non-profit to a stable and growing community development organization.
MMDC Program Portfolios
MMDC’s approach is comprehensive, inclusive, and supportive of the District’s anchor institutions, residents, employees, students, and visitors. In addition to connecting the dots across the organization’s seven anchor partners, MMDC also focuses on the following place-based program portfolios:
- Quality Public Spaces – Creating safe, attractive, and connected streets and spaces in the District while fostering a sense of place/brand identity through public art and placemaking initiatives.
- Clean and Safe Streets – Maintaining cleanliness and streetscape standards to encourage foot traffic in the District.
- Programming and Marketing – Engaging employees, students, residents and animating spaces and place in the District.
- Community and Economic Development – Supporting and connecting the diverse neighborhoods in the District through planning, Live, Buy, & Hire Local programs, growing and attracting small businesses, as well as supporting existing businesses.
- Neighborhood Capacity Building – Building resident capacity and voice within MMDC’s work.
- Real Estate – catalyze and support real estate development in the Medical District.
The President will be a passionate advocate to improve the quality-of-life for the entire Memphis Medical District community. This transformational leader will be charged with the execution of MMDC’s visionary 5-year strategic plan; focusing on working with anchor partners, leading fundraising efforts to support program portfolios, and building a strong culture of inclusivity and transparency within the organization, its Board and community partners. The ideal candidate will be an executive leader with a strong management background and an understanding of the needs of a non-profit focusing on partnering with both anchor institutions and neighborhood residents on initiatives. Additional information on the role is broken into six categories below.
- Provide executive leadership to the Board and staff;
- Act as the single point of contact for the Board – leading meetings, delivering board communications, and recruiting new Board members;
- Hire, organize, and guide staff to advance the mission and goals of MMDC;
- Build alliances and partnerships with like-minded organizations to achieve the mission and goals of the MMDC;
- Ensure a sound working relationship between the Board and senior management; and
- Encourage and facilitate professional development for staff.
- Fundraising and Financial Stewardship
- Organize and lead significant fundraising efforts to diversify, sustain, and grow MMDC work, including but not limited to, new Anchor partner contributions, grant requests, and individual solicitations;
- Steward existing funding relationships by providing regular reports and project updates; and
- Support COO in annual budgeting and tax filings to ensure compliance and that MMDC is a fiscally responsible organization.
- Vision and Strategic Implementation
- Lead staff and the Board in the execution of the 2021-2026 Strategic Plan;
- Provide executive, strategic, and visionary leadership to move the organization forward in the ever-changing landscape of community development; and
- Communicate MMDC’s vision and strategic plan to internal and external audiences.
- Direct the implementation of major MMDC activities;
- Provide management oversight to all staff;
- Ensure basic objectives, policies, and direction of MMDC are understood and properly implemented by senior staff; and
- Ensure staff activities, internal structure, and policies are aligned with the strategic plan.
- Serve as the spokesperson for MMDC;
- Build mutually supportive working relationships with external organizations, public officials, and the business community; and
- Translate the work of the organization to the Board and to the community.
- Real Estate Strategy and Development
- Catalyze and sustain MMDC’s strategic real estate development initiatives; and
- Support MMDC’s Director of Real Estate to provide visionary and innovative solutions to overcome barriers to real estate development in the District.
The ideal candidate must be committed to and experienced in the equitable revitalization of places and working closely with MMDC’s network of medical and educational anchor institutions, advisers, local businesses, residents, community leaders, and philanthropic partners. The candidate must be an energetic self-starter who is well organized, pays attention to details, understands organizational management, and is capable of leading a strong team of professionals. The candidate must be confident working in a fast-paced environment and possess a desire to grow within a dynamic and high-performing team.
The candidate will be dedicated to leading the organization in an inclusive and transparent manner that reinforces and builds upon a culture of clear and open communication between staff, leadership, anchor partners and neighborhood residents and stakeholders. They will excel at relationship management both externally – the Board, funders, and community groups – and internally focusing on staff attraction, retention, and professional development. As the face of the organization, the individual must also be an excellent communicator able to translate MMDC’s mission and programs from the office to the boardroom to the community meeting.
MMDC plays an active and supportive role in the physical development of the district. It is important that the incoming leader understands the power of the built environment and the potential for strategic and thoughtful development to create long-lasting positive change in a community.
A passion and understanding of cities and city-building strategies and an appreciation of the hyper connectivity of urban issues is appreciated.
Additionally, the candidate must have:
- Experience in an executive leadership role managing budgets of at least $2M and managing teams of at least 4 – 10 people;
- Experience with fundraising and ability to support the COO in financial management, and reporting;
- A deep understanding of team dynamics, and organizational behavior; and
- A strong strategic thinker at both the macro and micro level with a focus on analytically driven strategies.
More, we are seeking a candidate with the following attributes:
- Adds an innovative, dynamic and executive presence to the team;
- Has a positive, open, creative and flexible attitude;
- Is comfortable managing several different types of projects simultaneously;
- Has exposure to, and a passion for community development, urban design, city planning, real estate, or economic development programs;
- Collaborates and openly shares information with team and stakeholders; and
- Wants to grow with a group of people working to make Memphis a more vibrant place.
- A master’s degree in a related field with a minimum of fifteen years’ professional experience OR equivalent work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be comfortable advocating for your positions and speaking in public.
- Strong organizational skills and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Passion for urban, social, economic and/or civic issues.
In anticipation of this position, MMDC is offering a highly competitive compensation package that includes a salary range of $145,000-$165,000 and generous insurance and 401(k) benefits. Relocation support is available.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to Maurie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What interests and excites you most about MMDC’s work?
- How have your past experiences in executive leadership equipped you with the necessary skills to lead this team? Please provide a specific example.
- What is an example of a thoughtful, innovative, and inclusive community revitalization project you have worked on or been a part of?
NO PHONE CALLS. For more information: www.mdcollaborative.org.
MMDC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees, applicants, and job seekers, and is committed to making decisions using reasonable standards based on each individual’s qualifications as they relate to a particular employment action (e.g., hiring, training, promotions). No person shall be discriminated against in employment or harassed because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, protected veteran status, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, citizenship status, genetic information, marital status, parental status, ancestry, source of income, credit history, housing status, order of protection status, actual or perceived association with such a person or other classes protected by law. This policy includes the commitment to maintaining a work environment free from unlawful harassment.
- Memphis, TN