U3 Advisors spent three years in Northwest Detroit planning and launching an anchor strategy in partnership with University of Detroit Mercy (UDM) the Kresge Foundation. The Live6 Alliance launched in September, 2015 as a new entity focused on the commercial corridors surrounding the UDM campus that are severely disinvested, but could potentially support the diverse surrounding neighborhoods and improve quality of life for residents. The strategy includes focusing on real estate development, placemaking, business attraction and retention, community engagement, and safety.
U3A's responsibilities include:
- Staffing the organization and assisting with its legal and board formation
- Setting the strategy and business plan
- Leading community engagement activities, including the creation of a Residential Advisory Committee
- Seeking real estate development opportunities and tracking market conditions
- Organizing events and activities that engage campus and community
Today, Live6 Alliance is working with a coalition that includes the City of Detroit, Capital Impact Partners, Detroit Economic Growth Council, Detroit Collaborative Design Center, residents, businesses, and many other key stakeholders to ensure the Live6 district is Detroit’s next great revitalization story.